Tips to remove mold from your house

Mold 101

You spotted mold in your home? Don’t panic! We have a few tips for you.

While mold stains aren't always that bad, they aren't particularly pleasant to see on our walls.

Most of the mold found in a home is of the same type as found in bathrooms. However, they are usually only on the surface. In this case, there is nothing to demolish, you can just clean the wall!

All residences contain mold spores (eggs). Spores are just waiting for the presence of ideal conditions in order to grow. Spores prefer:

  • Heat;
  • Humidity;
  • Lack of ventilation;
  • Food that is made up of organic materials (paper, wood, jute, dust, etc.).

However, the presence of mold should not be taken lightly because it can, over time, damage the material and even cause damage to the structure of your home. Also, depending on the type of mold present in the house and the health of the residents, it can cause allergies and even illnesses. Therefore, if in doubt, do not hesitate to contact a GUS professional.

Cleaning techniques

Even if your first thought is to use bleach, we ask you not to. Bleach is corrosive and dangerous if not used properly.

Here's how to clean mold:

  • Dilute dish soap in water in a bucket.
  • Wear rubber gloves and a dust mask.
  • Dip a cloth in the solution, fold it in four, wring it out and wash the surface by regularly turning over the cloth until you no longer see any mold.
  • Rinse with clean water
  • Repaint the surface if it has yellowed.
  • If the extent of the damage is more severe or if you aren’t certain about the results, contact a GUS specialist, who will be glad to help.

Happy cleaning!